DIY PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS FOR GM VEHICLES WITH PUSH-BUTTON IGNITION THAT USE SMART KEYS FEATURED BELOW:
A. Procedure with at least one programmed transmitter available.
Before you start programming, make sure that the vehicle engine is off and all smart keys, both currently working and new, are with you. Please read and understand the programming procedure before you begin. You can also find instructions specific to your vehicle in the vehicle owner’s manual. Up to 8 smart keys can be programmed to a vehicle.
NOTE: Switch the ignition to the OFF position.
- Place a working transmitter in the cupholder.
2. Insert the key blade into the door lock outside of the driver’s door (pull the metal key blade out of the transmitter by pressing the release button located in the front of the key, you can use the blade from the working transmitter).
3. Turn the key blade in the door lock to the unlock position 5 times within 10 seconds. Driver’s information center DIC will display READY FOR REMOTE #2, 3, 4, ETC.
4. Place the new transmitter into the center console transmitter pocket (open the storage area and remove the rubber mat to access the transmitter pocket spot).
5. Press and hold the ignition POWER button for 2 seconds. When the new transmitter is programmed, the DIC will display that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
6. Remove the new transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press UNLOCK or LOCK button on the remote.
Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 for each additional transmitter.
When all additional smart keys are programmed, press and hold ENGINE START/STOP for approximately 12 seconds to exit programming mode.
Test each of the remotes to make sure they are working.
B. Programming without Two Working Smart Keys
If you only have 1 working smart key or none, please follow the steps below. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. DIY programming is not available in Canada. Before you start programming, make sure that the vehicle is off and all transmitters are with you. Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin. You can also find instructions specific to your vehicle in the vehicle owner’s manual. Up to 8 smart keys can be programmed to a vehicle.
Please note: if currently have no smart keys for your vehicle, you would need to get the emergency key blade in your new smart key cut by a locksmith before you can perform the procedure below.
- Remove the key blade from your smart key.
- Insert the emergency key blade into the driver door lock cylinder, then turn the key counterclockwise to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds. (on some vehicles, you will need to remove the lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle to access the door lock). The Driver Information Center (DIC) will display REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
- Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS ENGINE START BUTTON TO LEARN and then press ENGINE POWER button. The DIC display will again show REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
- Repeat Step 3 two more times. After the third time, all previously known smart keys will no longer work with the vehicle. The remaining smart keys can be re-programmed during the next steps. The DIC display should now show READY FOR REMOTE # 1.
- Place the new smart key into the transmitter pocket (open the storage area and remove the rubber mat to access the transmitter pocket spot).
- Press the ignition POWER Button and hold it for 2 seconds. When the smart key is recognized by the vehicle, the DIC display will show that it is ready to program the next smart key.
- Remove the smart key from the transmitter pocket and press the UNLOCK button on the smart key.
- To program an additional smart key, repeat Steps 5-8.
When all additional smart keys are programmed, press and hold the ignition POWER Button for approximately 12 seconds to exit programming mode.